Summer 2019 Theology Book Club
The focus of this summer’s books will be on living as disciples of Jesus. Classes meet Sunday’s from 2:30 pm – 4 pm in the Fireside Room.
Being Disciples by Rowen Williams – July 14 & July 28
Lord, Teach Us by William Willimon – August 11 & August 18
Sunday Morning Adult Education Hour Topics
Contact the office or check the church bulletin to confirm actual dates and topics.
- A Year in the Church: April – May 2019
- Evangelical/ism?: December 2018 – March 2019
- Background of the New Testament: September – November 2018
- Summer 2018 – Summer book series theme: “spiritual changes in America and how it affects the Church”
- The Early Church: April – May 2018
- Genesis: December 2017 – March 2018
- The Ten Commandments: September – November 2017
- Summer 2017 – Summer book series theme: “how to read Scripture in light of contemporary issues”
- The Gospel of Matthew: May 2017
- Estate Planning: April 2017
- The Lord’s Prayer: March 2017
- The Reformation: January – February 2017
- The Apostles Creed: November – December 2016
- On March 24, 2019 Dr. David Gillette, Physical Therapy Professor at University of Pacific, gave a seminar on “active aging” to our church. He discussed the importance of movement as we age and offered resources to the congregation to support a healthy lifestyle. Many members signed up to be a part of Dr. Gillette’s latest research study on motor performance and motor learning using a balance app for a smart phone.
- The weekend of October 28-29, 2017 was a big weekend in the life of Zion. On Saturday evening we held an Oktoberfest where we celebrated the 75th anniversary of our church. There was plenty food, fellowship, and fun. Our Banjo group performed and we perused pictures of Zion’s history. Afterwards we burned our mortgage! Thanks to the faithful gifts of so many saints along the way, Zion is now debt free! On Sunday after our reformation service we boarded a bus to attend a Reformation 500 service at Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. Over 900 Lutherans from Northern California joined together to celebrate the reformation in a service lead by our Bishop. Thanks be to God for the continuing reforming of His Church!
- On June 11, 2017, we hosted a free community concert with the Celebration Ringers! They are a high school handbell choir from First Lutheran Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They performed during our regular Sunday morning worship service as well as a free community concert on Sunday afternoon starting at 3pm. The Director of the Celebration Ringers was the organist for Zion from 1979 – 1984.
- On March 18, 2017 Zion hosted a League of Women Voters event titled “Preventing Gun Violence in Our Community: Shaping Policy with Hope for the Future.” Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs and Stockton Police Chief Eric Jones were two of the presenters followed by a panel discussion with Q&A from the audience. The Stockton Record wrote an article on the even which can be viewed at the LINK.
- In January 2017 the 16th annual Zion Chamber Orchestra Festival held three concerts and was another great success. Each concert had a unique focus from Classical to the Gershwin’s. They played to packed out crowds each night and many people enjoyed both the music and the ambiance our church building provided. We have an entire page on our webpage devoted to the Zion Chamber Orchestra where you can stay informed of both their past and future events, just click the LINK.
- On December 4, 2016 Pastor Ryan’s was ordained at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Sacramento. There was a very large turnout by members of St. John’s (Sacramento), St. Paul’s (Oakland) and Zion’s (Stockton) congregations, as well as members of the Pacific-Sierra Synod and Ryan’s friends and family.
- Welcome to our new Pastor, Ryan Eikenbary. His first Sunday at Zion Lutheran Church on November 27, 2016 was wonderful, with an exciting new Bible Study about the origins of the Apostle’s Creed, worship service and social gathering afterwards. The congregation at Zion is proud to have Ryan, and welcomes one and all to come and experience the Lord’s grace and love under the guidance of Pastor Ryan. To learn more about our new pastor, check out our “Meet Our Pastor” page.
- Music Director Rhondda Nunes has her own band, “The Rhondda Nunes Collective” which is a multi-generational, multi-genre band that is the only band in the Stockton Musician’s Union that plays original music. In October 2016 they held a flash-mob at the Lincoln Center (just 3 blocks from the church) to kick off Stockton Arts Week.
- One of pastor Ryan’s seminary professors was inspired by dialogue the two of them had in class and wrote a scholarly article about the topic in November 2015. You can read a synopsis of the interaction and resulting article at the LINK.