Sunday Morning Adult Education Hour Topics
Contact the office or check the church bulletin to confirm actual dates and topics.
- The Ten Commandments: September – November 2017
- Summer 2017 – Summer book series theme: “how to read Scripture in light of contemporary issues”
- The Gospel of Matthew: May 2017
- Estate Planning: April 2017
- The Lord’s Prayer: March 2017
- The Reformation: January – February 2017
- The Apostles Creed: November – December 2016
- On June 11, 2017, we hosted a free community concert with the Celebration Ringers! They are a high school handbell choir from First Lutheran Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado. They performed during our regular Sunday morning worship service as well as a free community concert on Sunday afternoon starting at 3pm. The Director of the Celebration Ringers was the organist for Zion from 1979 – 1984.
- On March 18, 2017 Zion hosted a League of Women Voters event titled “Preventing Gun Violence in Our Community: Shaping Policy with Hope for the Future.” Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs and Stockton Police Chief Eric Jones were two of the presenters followed by a panel discussion with Q&A from the audience. The Stockton Record wrote an article on the even which can be viewed at the LINK.
- In January 2017 the 16th annual Zion Chamber Orchestra Festival held three concerts and was another great success. Each concert had a unique focus from Classical to the Gershwin’s. They played to packed out crowds each night and many people enjoyed both the music and the ambiance our church building provided. We have an entire page on our webpage devoted to the Zion Chamber Orchestra where you can stay informed of both their past and future events, just click the LINK.
- On December 4, 2016 Pastor Ryan’s was ordained at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Sacramento. There was a very large turnout by members of St. John’s (Sacramento), St. Paul’s (Oakland) and Zion’s (Stockton) congregations, as well as members of the Pacific-Sierra Synod and Ryan’s friends and family.
- Welcome to our new Pastor, Ryan Eikenbary. His first Sunday at Zion Lutheran Church on November 27, 2016 was wonderful, with an exciting new Bible Study about the origins of the Apostle’s Creed, worship service and social gathering afterwards. The congregation at Zion is proud to have Ryan, and welcomes one and all to come and experience the Lord’s grace and love under the guidance of Pastor Ryan. To learn more about our new pastor, check out our “Meet Our Pastor” page.
- Music Director Rhondda Nunes has her own band, “The Rhondda Nunes Collective” which is a multi-generational, multi-genre band that is the only band in the Stockton Musician’s Union that plays original music. In October 2016 they held a flash-mob at the Lincoln Center (just 3 blocks from the church) to kick off Stockton Arts Week.
- Dr. Gesine Gerhard-Rolf, a professor of history at the University of the Pacfic, is a member of Zion. She has published a book entitled “Nazi Hunger Politics”. The Stockton Record profiled Gesine in its May 2016 issue of The Current. Go to Page 15 after clicking on the LINK.
- One of pastor Ryan’s seminary professors was inspired by dialogue the two of them had in class and wrote a scholarly article about the topic in November 2015. You can read a synopsis of the interaction and resulting article at the LINK.